Download and install JDK on Windows
Operating System: 64 bit Windows 8
In this tutorial, we will download, install, and set up Java following the steps:
- Step 0: Un-Install Older Version(s) of JDK/JRE
- Step 1: Download JDK
- Step 2: Installed JDK
- Step 3: Verify JDK is installed
Step 0: Un-Install Older Version(s) of JDK/JRE
Before you install the latest JDK/JRE, un-Installing the older version(s) of JDK/JRE is recommended. To un-install older JDK/JRE version(s):
- Click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Select Programs
- Click Programs and Features
- Select ALL programs begin with "Java" and then click the Uninstall button.
Step 1: Download JDK
- To install Java, you first need to download the installer program from Oracle’s website
- Under Java Platform, Standard Edition section, click the JDK Download link.
- You are then prompted to read and agree with the end user license agreement. Accept the terms of service and choose the correct operating system(Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.) for the specific JDK.
- Save the .exe file to your computer.
Step 2: Install JDK
- After downloading JDK, navigate to the directory where you saved the .exe file. Double click on the file to begin installation of JDK.
- Click the Run button to run the installer.
- The installation process starts. Click the Next button to continue the installation.
- Keep the default options and then click the Next button.
- Keep the default directory where the source java files will be and then click the Next button.
- After installing the JDK, click the Close button. This will complete Java installation process.
Step 3: Verify JDK is installed
To check that you have the right version of JDK installed on your windows computer, follow the below steps:
- Open the command prompt one of the following ways:
- Click Search > Enter cmd > Choose Command Prompt.
- Right-click Start button > Click run > Enter cmd
- In the command prompt,type the command java -version in boldface below and then press Enter. You should see something similar to the information printed below.
java version "1.8.0_131"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.144-bo1, mixed mode)